Friday, January 30, 2009

January 30, 2009 "I BE GOOD"

We have no pictures for today but we do have a new phrase.  Yes, you got it a phrase.  Sophia was running around the house making me crazy taking everything apart that I was cleaning up. I would pick up her toys and put them in the storage bins only to find less than 5 minutes later she had taken everything out and put it all over the floor.  The same went for her hair bows, several other toys that have several parts, her zoo, her puzzles and so on.  I was getting really frustrated. I was trying to get everything picked up so I could make dinner and get ready to go to work.   I told her she was going to have to take her nap now because she wasn't being a good girl. I picked her up and put her in her bed. I rarily punish her because she is usually a very good child.  I also try never to associate her bed with anything negative.  It just so happened that it was really naptime or a little after and she was being destructive.  So, I told her it was naptime and calmly put her in her bed. She started crying and fussing. Then, she looked me straight in the eye and said, " I BE GOOD." and she repeated it, "I BE GOOD! I BE GOOD!" I looked at her and couldn't believe what I was hearing. She was telling me she would be good I guess so she could get back out of bed.  

Until now, she has not used any three word phrases.  I was stunned. A year ago at 4 months on January 7 she said her first word "milk".  I knew then I had a smart child on my hands. Not only is milk a hard word for a baby to say, it is not a common word for a baby so young to understand.  Kids don't usually talk that early.  Three word phrases in context, how could this be? Whatever am I going to do with a kid speaking in three word phrases at 16 months?  I guess I will have to stay one step ahead of her and challenge her.  Apparently, she is smarter than I realize.  

It was so cute the way she looked at me and said, " I BE GOOD!"  that I just had to stop myself for a second and give her a big hug and kiss. I will never forget her first word a year ago or the look on her face when she told me she would be good.  Of course, it is not hard to figure out what happened next, I took her out of her bed and said, "I understand you Sophia. You will be good for mommy so I will let you stay up a little longer. Please do not destroy the house and I will turn on Babies for you meaning the DVD "Baby Signing Time", her very favorite DVD.   She was so excited that "Babies" was coming on the TV that she nearly jumped out of my arms with delight. She kept her promise, she was good and didn't undue anything else that I cleaned up this evening.  Her daddy put her to bed at 7pm which is way early, but that is okay. I better hit the sack before I stay up all night and can't function in the morning. I know Sophia will be up bright and early since she went to bed at 7pm.  Good Night!  

3 comments:

Emalily said...

Way to go Sophia!!

Unknown said...

Amazing, Debbie! By 2 she is going to be negotiating with you in paragraphs!

Sikes Family said...

OMG! That could be dangerous. She scares me sometimes with the things she knows. I guess she understands so much from all the reading we do daily. I can't even imagine how tough of a negotiator she will be as a teenager. Ugh, isn't that a frightening thought! I am hoping that maybe if she is a smart maybe she will get a good scholarship some day for school.