Friday, April 10, 2009

April 6, 2009 Easter (Cat?) Bunny with pom poms

Now, that Sophia is capable of doing more things I am planning on doing two activities every day. With the intent of providing an enriching experience for her development, I intend to do 2 structured activities a day. Up until now, we only did one a day that was experiential learning sometimes going outside and playing or singing a song. We are still going to be using experiential learning but taking it to a new level and emphasing a specific skill in each session.
Because she is not in daycare, I don't want her to fall behind in any areas that her peers are encountering in school. I have always dreamed of this and the moment is now. She is pretty good at following directions so I am going to be working on helping her to lengthen her attention span. It seems to have suddenly gotten shorter so we will be working on focusing on the task at hand.
My intent is to create a semi-structured environment where each day we sit down at her table and do something whether it be making something or learning something. I will try to vary the experiences and make them fun yet teach her how to count or learn her colors or use her senses at each session. I will choose sensory activities to expose her to different textures and shapes. We will also develop her fine motor skills development and gross motor skills. I will consciously choose activities that expose her to a variety of environments and experiences.
This was one of the first lessons we had. I was reading books about Easter to Sophia. I was teaching her about the upcoming holiday so she would appreciate the events more coming up this weekend. Then, we sat down and glued pom poms to a piece of paper to make an Easter Bunny.
I printed out a picture of the Easter Bunny here and told Sophia we were going to glue them on the bunny. I put several colorful pom poms in front of her that would be the color of the bunny. However, she chose the ones that were still in the bag. She chose the orange and black swirled pom poms. I thought okay, it is her picture, let her do what she wants. Don't curb her creativity, step back and let her go. She proceeded to glue these pom poms on the bunny as pictured. I was very proud that she could do this project and patiently helped her stay focused on the task.

When she completed her picture, I asked her what we made. She did not answer me but she brought her picture over to show the cat. I was puzzled for a moment and then as she pointed to the cat and smiled, I realized what she was telling me. She said, "Cat!" as she pointed to Brittany our cat. Then, I saw the resemblence. All along she was making a picture of our cat, not the Easter Bunny. I guess she taught me today. Here is one of our cats, her favorite below.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: