Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March 9, 2009 Gone Fishing - Mum Mum, I caught one


Putting the fish back into the puzzle


I think this one goes here...


If I can just catch one of these fish with my fishing pole.

Look mommy, I caught one


So as a parent I have this responsibilty that is given to me to raise a child to be an independent responsible human being who can take care of herself and feels as though she can do anything she wants to if she sets her mind to it. With that in mind, I am always on the look-out for new methods of helping Sophia develop and learn and grow into a perfect little being. The other day I had escaped my world for a little me time and headed over to Target. At Target I was looking at the toys and came across this little what I thought was a wooden fish puzzle. Well, when I got it home I discovered it was so much more. It has little fish that fit into the wooden puzzle but also a fishing pole with a magnet on it to pull the fish out of the water puzzle. I was thinking what a cute puzzle, when I quickly discovered that this was not just a lesson in very basic spatial reasoning, but a hand eye development coordination tool. Sophia loves to go play the fishing game and go fish. Then, when she is finished sporting her fishing pole, she sits down and puts the fish back into the water in the wooden puzzle. Or ideally, that is how it is supposed to work but she has yet to get all the fish back into the puzzle. Many of you who read my blog know that my dream at one time was to teach preschoolers. Each week we have some structured learning whether it be artistic, such as finger painting that I still haven't posted from last week or simply coloring pictures and talking about them from a coloring book or printed from the internet. We explore our senses through scented squishy play-dough, magical soap bubbles, touch and feel books, etc. We get outside and talk about what we see on our walks the leaves the trees, the kids at school in the school yard. She likes to point out the "Go Go's!" I ask her what kind of Go Go does she see. That way she learns the proper words for each form of transportation we come across. to her, they are all go gos right now but soon she will know automobiles, trains, planes, and her new favorite boats.
I feel it is important to emphasize learning through play as well as some very structured lessons which will help her to be prepared fo preschool when that time comes. I just love the discovery and development stages of life and enjoy staying home and teaching and observing Sophia as she learns and grows into an independent little human being. Sophia mommy loves you. Don't grow up too fast.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: