Thursday, November 1, 2012

Need a quick costume for a party - Can You Guess What I was?





Most years I am so wrapped up in making fun costumes for my girls and stuff for my Etsy shop that I don't have time to think of making a costume for myself. Last year I was just praying that Olivia was going to turn out okay enough for Sophia to wear. This year because my beloved Babylock Serger was worn out beyond repair, I had to settle on making costumes with the good old fashioned sewing machine. Of course, sewing machines work for this task. It is just a lot slower process and requires a lot more steps like hemming all raw edges for example. So I started making Sophia's costume a month earlier and completed it early to my surprise. This worked in my favor for two reasons, I was done early making that costume so I could focus on sewing something for myself and I wasn't so stressed about a Halloween completion date. I don't sew many things for myself but rather enjoy making things for others so this project was for me. There are only so many hours to each day and the family requires many of those.



So a couple days ago I decided to make a quick costume for myself. I have never really been a huge fan of dressing up as an adult. I feel guilty dressing up because I feel Halloween is a children's holiday and strive to make it super special for my kids.

I was suddenly inspired to create a "funny costume" that my friends would like. Each year my MOPS group holds a Halloween party and this year was no exception. I started brainstorming how could I demonstrate a popular trilogy of books that many have read.

Looks like I need a trip to Lowes for some "Gray or Grey" inspiration. I grabbed more than 50 gray paint chips and wondered if I could use those somehow as the literal translation of "50 Shades of Grey." I also toyed with an idea of cutting out 50 pairs of sunglasses in gray colors but figured in the essence of time, that wasn't going to happen.

I also dropped into the local Halloween Store for ideas and snagged the perfect masquerade mask (looks just like the book 2 cover) for my creation.

I laid out all the gray paint chips on the floor and suddenly inspiration came to me. I had an old gray dress with a couple shades of gray around the bustline. Somehow I could attach these 50 gray paint chips to the dress to show 50 shades. I finally decided on numbering them and sewing them on like fringe.


This worked better than I expected once I figured out spacing (required a little math skills) so there would be no open or uneven spots. I just prayed that the specialty leather needle I had for my sewing machine would puncture the cardboard paint chips without breaking. It was strong enough to poke holes with the thread to hold them on without the chips cracking or tearing. It worked like a charm.


Backside of the dress with "Laters Baby!"

Then, I got really brave and typed out "Laters Baby!" The famous way the sexy Christian Grey said goodbye to Anastasia in the books. I printed it out on card stock paper, cut it out, and I sewed it to the center back of my dress.



With a few odds and ends like an old red pair of plastic handcuffs from a college sweetheart dance, a masquerade mask that I bought at the Halloween store, a fancy piece of silver decorative rope I stole from my sewing stash of goodies, and last but not least the infamous gray tie, I borrowed from the husband's wardrobe. I laid it all out on my dress form and yes, I think "50 Shades of Grey" came to life.


Here is a photo of "50 Shades of Grey" along with some of my other wonderfully talented costume making friends.

The classic moment I have to share with you is that when my husband left for work that morning knowing I was making this outfit his exact words were, "Debbie, don't go overboard, keep it classy!"

Ha! Seriously, does he even know what this trilogy of books called "50 Shades of Grey" is about. I mean how does one keep such a topic classy? Wink wink.

I still can't believe I won the costume contest. I am so thankful to have great friends. I will be enjoying a coffee or two at my local Starbucks really soon.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: