Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The no tie scarf




This is the basic scarf before you pull it through the loop on the end. I serged all the way around the fabric and then sewed the loop on the end to pull the fabric through.


The bow tie scarf



The ascot scarf



neckerchief scarf

I love using my serger for quick little projects like this one. This scarf is made out of taffeta. The purpose of making this scarf was to practice one-step inner and outer corners on a serger. It is a little trickier than a regular sewing machine because you have more than one needle to deal with and the cutting knife that trims the fabric as you serge. I will admit the outer corner is not as easy as serging off the edges but it looks pretty when the corners are so smooth.

The hardest part of this project was serging an inner corner and not cutting the fabric deep into the corner. I will need to practice it a bit more to perfect it but for a first try, I think it turned out fairly nice.

I used a three thread rolled hem on this scarf. I used serger thread in the needle and woolly nylon in the upper and lower loopers for a beautiful edge. The machine stitch length was set on one to create a closed edged look.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: