Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Cardinals Home Opener- The Matching Pujols Jerseys

So the other day Scott and Sophia were discussing the Cardinals Home Opener. Scott told Sophia that she should go try on her STL Cardinals jersey to see if it fit.  Well, honestly, it is a bit too small but she might wear it a few times until we get her a new one.

 Meanwhile, Scott said to Sophia, "Our matching Pujols jerseys are obsolete because Pujols went to the Angels team."  She looked at him in disbelief and turned towards her room and started crying.  It was so sad. We thought she was sad because her favorite hero had moved to another team.  I told her it would be okay and not to worry about it too much. What I didn't realize at the time, was she didn't understand the conversation.

Later that day, we were sitting down to have some lunch and she turned to me and said, "Mommy, why did Pujols go to the Angels?"  I casually told her they offered him a lot of money.  " She turned to me and started crying again and said, "Mommy, I am very sad that he went to see the Angels.  I am so sad that he died."

I stopped what I was doing immediately and peered into her sobbing eyes as I realized what she was saying.  She was crying because she thought Pujols went to see the Angels in heaven and that he had passed away and that is why her jersey was no good. My heart sunk to my toes as I hugged her and reassured her that the only baseball hero she has ever known was still alive and well and playing for another baseball team called the Angels.

No comments: