Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May 12, 2009 Our New Pet, hopefully not for long....

So, I do not have room in my life for any more pets because we have too many, however, an animal has decided to grace our lives with it presence. While I was out trimming the hedges and old rose tree today a hummingbird flew into my garage. I am not sure why he went in there, but he refuses to leave.

Here is the stubborn little fellow. He finally stopped flying around but I can't seem to get him to come out of the garage. I have left the garage open most of the day hoping he would leave on his own. I also, tried to swoosh him out with a broom. He doesn't seem to want to go so I guess he is going to stay in there overnight. I can't say I blame him since it is a bit chilly outside, but I would think he would want to get back to his home before nightfall.

Here he is in flight...

Here is another shot. Since I guess he is spending the night with us, I pulled the hummingbird feeder inside so that he won't starve overnight. I guess he will help himself to some nectar. I will try again to get him out tomorrow. I really need to close our garage so I guess he will be trapped. I hate to do that. He is a wild animal and needs to move on out.
Sophia sure enjoyed watching him saying, "Bumbo Bee, Bumbo Bee." She could hear him buzzing around since it echoes inside the garage and thought it was a Baby Bumblebee like the song we sing everyday now.  Then, I told her it was a bird and she started saying, "Beep, Beep." That is how she says, "Tweet, Tweet" for a bird sound.
The odd thing about this is that we just watched the movie "Benjammin Button" last night. If you have seen the movie, you would understand the connection.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Beth said...

Debbie, this is cracking me up. I love that you brought his food in so he wouldn't starve overnight. What a big heart. Better be careful... he might tell all his other animal friends and you'll end up with all sorts of critters sleeping in your garage every night. ha,ha

Sikes Family said...

Oh no, I hope he doesn't tell his buddies. I just didn't want him to starve since he couldn't find his way out. I have a very tender heart for all animals and can't bear to see them suffer. They can eat all the nectar in the bird feeder outside, but I just can't have joining my already overcrowded pet parade. In case you didn't know, 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 saltwater fish, 2 bumblebee snails, 2 freshwater fish is about all I can handle. I do not want a bird or any other critters for that matter. I hate to use too much force since they are such delicate little birds.

Sikes Family said...

NO FREE ROOM AND BOARD FOR WILD ANIMALS IN THE SIKES GARAGE IS THE SIGN I SHOULD PUT ON THE DOOR.
Oh, wait a minute, birds can't read. I guess if he ever leaves, he will bring back the whole flock. DOOMED AM I!!!! Next thing you know it will become a hummingbird sanctuary. Well, maybe I could charge admission then.